Why are Cambodians so nice?


I’m back in the States, but minus Lucy. It was a tearful goodbye in Phnom Penh. I think I was the only American on the flight and am glad to be home but already missing Lucy (and eager to see my daughter, Cora) and wishing Lucy the best as she travels to Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam. It was amazing to see how well Lucy navigated the vagaries of travel and a massive culture change.
 

Cambodia is a very friendly country to outsiders. At our hotels, the staff were so kind and caring, and for only $25 a night with a free breakfast buffet. I’m staying at a hotel tonight in Dallas ($110) and the one person at the desk was colorless and somewhat frigid. The taxi driver from the airport was sullen and refused to talk and charged $48 for a two-mile ride. In Cambodia, we were charged only $15 for a six-hour van ride to Siem Reap. 


Part of the reason, possibly, for the great care given in Cambodia is that we are considered rich by their standards. The average monthly salary in Cambodia is only $300. But within a framework of Buddhism, I think that the niceness of the people is embedded in their souls and not an act of grifting. The country experienced tragedy not so long ago (1970s) under Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge. Around 3 million Cambodians were tortured and killed in a quest to create a hardcore communist state. This undoubtedly has led to the country falling behind economically by perhaps fifty years. In 1979, after Vietnam invaded and helped to end the Khmer Rouge government, Pol Pot was allowed to live out his natural life, which is hard to believe, at least by Western standards.


So, I miss Lucy already and remain somewhat worried, but spending the first week with her showed me that she is up for the task and more. She is young and healthy and has a good head on her shoulders so she will be fine, but I still worry, of course, and will be glad when she returns. Today, she is visiting an elephant sanctuary, and I can’t wait to hear about it.

While there, I seriously missed my daughter, Cora, and can’t wait to see her soon, along with Lucy’s and Cora’s mother, Linda (we remain great friends after divorcing, and she took care of my cats and dog while I was away). Travel has a way of magnifying the people and things you love, even though it is arduous at times. It makes home seem that much sweeter, although I wish the current culture of America was more welcoming and benevolent. I had a great time, and Lucy come home safe and sound!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why must I look into the abyss?

Can you recreate yourself from nothing?

How does one experience surrealism?