What is the value of OCD?


According to the National Institute of Mental Health (2026), the prevalence of OCD in the United States is 2.3%. OCD can be harmless, but it can also hinder one's undertaking of daily life. Some people with OCD have to touch wall switches three times or do a spin before passing through a door. I have never been diagnosed with OCD, but I do exhibit OCD behavior that does not really annoy me or other people.

When I walk my dog at a local trail in the River Park, basically a paved trail that follows the Tennessee River, I have to touch things such as garbage cans, light poles, and signs. I always touch the same things, getting a tiny thrill each time I make contact. If I miss touching something, then a slight panic sets in until I reach the next object that I can touch. My behavior is not noticeable, I think, and adds to the overall pleasure of the walk. I used to count people and dogs on the trail, but I grew weary of the task and switched to touching things.

My dog, who looks like a small sled dog, also exhibits OCD traits on our one-mile walks. She always poops in the same place and is constantly sniffing the ground, seeking a scent, distracted from the task of walking. 

I think OCD results from anxiety about order in one's life. Repeating a behavior amid stress is a soothing action. OCD is a way of dealing with disorder and imposing one's will on a capricious world to give life more sense and meaning. In small doses, OCD is harmless, but it can be debilitating when the repetitive behaviors take over daily life. The trick is to be in control of the behaviors and not let them control you. As I often say, embrace your diagnosis and use it to better understand your actions and motivations.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why must I look into the abyss?

How does one experience surrealism?

Is routine a good thing?